Sunday, October 26, 2008

Retirement - Week 1

Thank you to those of you that have posted. I appreciate the kind words.
The best "gift" I could have received would have been a win at the Hill, my final game.
But still as a final remembrance will always be the "Quigley Run" play that almost worked.

I have had multiple requests about indoor soccer.
Sorry to say - I am not doing indoor soccer. Please let the complainers take over and do indoor.
I also have been asked if I will be at the Fall Sports Banquet. Again - sorry to say no, I will not be there. The reason being - open mike and current frame of mind equals bad speech and tongue lashing. So - I'd rather not take the chance...... 'nuff said.
Remembrances - August 2000.
First day of summer camp.
I was worried about how I was going to remember all of the names and get to know players by myself in 10 days. I knew a slim few from coaching at Pottsgrove Soccer and a few went to our church. I was nervous as hell and they knew it.
A few of them, being high school seniors, attempted to help by organizing the players and telling me who was good and who was far from it. Of course, if they were friends and liked the other player - well then - they were a good player. If they did not like you - then you were bad. Period.
It took me until the second day to figure this out. There was one that kind of mocked me when I yelled at them by saying "sir, yes sir". This lasted about 4 days until I singled him out for a shooting drill. I also found out the he was the kicker for the football team. No wonder he could not put the ball in the net even with out a keeper. He always put it 100mph and 10 feet over.
Frank and I, later in that week, came to an understanding and was actually a good kid.
I think they all came to an understand when we did the spots never stop drill for 25 minutes non-stop. That got their attention quick and started to gain some respect.
More later.......

No comments: