Friday, October 17, 2008

Last day of Coaching

Today I am resigning.
Today is my last game.
I have always thought about this day and when it would happen. It has happened sooner than I expected.
And - not on my terms. I expected to leave with a solid foundation built for the next coach.
I have been head coach in one form or another for 17 years, since the spring of 1992. That is longer than most of my players have been alive.
I have coached at Pius since 2000.
I have packed my last change of clothes. I have packed my last trunk full of equipment.
I have hit the snooze button at 4:45 for the last time.
This day is my last long day of my soccer career.
I wish to thank the people that supported me and helped any way they could.
You know who you are and a very heart felt thank you.

After my first year, I had set some goals for the team.
I wanted to beat Great Valley, OJR, Pottsgrove and Perk Valley. After Great Valley left our league and was replaced with Boyertown I wanted them the most.
Last year we came close.
Tied Boyertown 1-1 in double overtime.
Lost to OJR 1-0 in the last 5 minutes. Does not get better than that except for a win.
Came close to Pottsgrove in 2006 3-2 (Hill and Cocci scored) but lost to them later that year 3-0.
This year we came oh so close to Perk Valley and left them off the hook 3-2.

To those that criticized, undermined, and complained behind my back because THEY did not have the courage to talk to me face to face, I also say thank you.
You are giving me my life back.
I know who most of you are.
Now is the chance to put your time where your mouth is. Now is your chance to step up and do your duty. Come on now - please, step up and YOU take the coaching job.
All of your cackling, whispering, and complaining out loud to each other about the coaches DOES affect the way your son plays the game. It affects the other parents too.
And that spreads like a winter virus.
Do you have any idea of how much time it takes to be a head coach at the high school level?
Please step up to the plate to find out.
How about the off season stuff. Practices and coordination for indoor soccer.
How about the Sunday games.
How about the Open House at Pius and other meetings that you have to attend.
How about the Rules meetings and PAC10 meetings.
And don't forget dealing with the press.
Step up now and put your application in and also organize the indoor sessions for the boys.

Some parents and changes in the players are the reasons for me leaving.
Some players are there strictly because of a social thing.
Still some are there because of their parents.
Others are there that truly love the game, want to learn, and care if they win or lose.
The big changes I have seen in the players are:
  • Desire (lack thereof). This comes from within.
  • Respect (of teammates and coach). This starts at home. I had a player mouth off at the last practice. I was ready to walk off and leave until some of the seniors intervened. They actually wanted to make the offending player kiss my shoes. Why did this player even have to open his mouth?
  • Concern/Caring. (again - lack thereof. Some don't care if they lose 10-0).
  • Team Work.(What? Working together? Together Everyone Achives More). If a player tells another player what to do during a game - they either get offended, ignore them or better yet, I have seen parents yell at the players because player told their son what to do. What kind of team is this?
Come on parents and players. Are you guilty of any if these?
If so - fix it now so the next coach can have some success.

In closing I will miss most of this.
I was looking forward to interviewing for the coaching job at the new school.
Wow, I’d be able to pick and choose my players if I got the job, build a competitive team, and coach players that truly love the game.
I will miss coaching at Pius.
I will miss the interaction with the boys.
I will miss those little moments when they get it, and you can see it in their face.
I will miss those little victories when they score a goal or make an incredible steal.
I will miss that look on their face when I take them aside and tell them of the great job they did and what they can do to be better.
I will miss the players now on the team that love the game of soccer.
I will miss the excitement of each game.
I will miss some of the stories that I bring home and tell my wife and children.
I will truly miss coaching at Pius.

Good luck and God Bless to the real players and parents.

Lastly - how come no one ever posted any comments?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not just take a year off?

jallen078 said...

i have to say you were the best coach i ever played for. i came out strictly to be a senior on the jv team because my best friend coached jv. you motivated me to go above and beyond. thanks to your coaching i made the varsity team and had the time of my life. if there was anything i regret it was not playing all 4 years of high school for you coach. thanks a bunch.

-jallen

Anonymous said...

Coach Emberger,

Not being a good blogger - really yours is the first I have ever read - didn't realize that it was this easy to post. As a parent for only 2 years on the team - We have respected you and thank you for all your time that you have given to our son. You have given him confidence and taught him a sport that he really did not know much about before he started in high school. We thank you for your dedication and Owen will truly miss you in the coming years as we will too. By letting Brendan be the team manager this you inspired him to want to play indoor and try out for next years team. Thank you for your time, your talent, your patience and the positive influence you gave to our sons.

Jane and Jim Logue

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visited your blog through Google and found it to be informative and interesting. Thanks for your valuable efforts.

Keep up the fantastic work!

Again Thanks....

Soccer Drills